• Mission Conferences
  • Bible Conferences

Dan has been in full time missions work since July, 1982.  He spent 19 years on the field serving the military in the Panama Canal Zone and at Maranatha Baptist Church in Okinawa.


Dan, Mary and Children

Anniversary:  6-9-79

Birthdays: Dan 10-4, Mary 4-20, Elisabeth 1-9-97

Brother Dan is originally from the Lansing, Michigan area where he attended South Baptist Church prior to moving to Chattanooga for Bible College.  Dan met his wife Mary at Tennessee Temple University.  They have been married since June of 1979.  Mary is a tremendous asset to Dan’s ministry.  She is also a graduate of Temple and is the daughter of veteran missionaries, Al and Norma Sligh.

Upon graduation from Tennessee Temple University the Mouws served in the Panama Canal Zone where the Lord enabled them to start Bible Baptist Church, a ministry to U.S. servicemen.  After ten years in Panama they turned the debt free building, parsonage and mobile home over to a missionary to the Spanish-speaking people as the Atlantic side of the Canal was closing.  Shortly thereafter, Dan accepted the call as Senior Pastor of Maranatha Baptist Church in Okinawa, Japan.  The first Sunday’s attendance was 351.  Within six months the church paid off a large debt, and the attendance eventually grew to over 700 servicemen and their families.  The church secured three acres and built a 7,000 square foot Servicemen’s Center.  Prior to the Mouws leaving Okinawa, blueprints were drawn for a new auditorium, and building permits were obtained.  The assets and savings toward the new building made it possible for the now completed project to be debt free by spring of 2011.

The Mouws have five children:  Jeremy graduated form Tennessee Temple and married Sarah Hart, and they are serving the Lakota people; Isaiah also graduated from Tennessee Temple and is married to Victoria Hales; Zach graduated from Temple and is married to Alicia Homontowski; Daniel Jr. is married to Katie VanGorp; and Elisabeth is a photographer.

Since God called the Mouws to B.W.M.O.M., the mission has established a new website, compiled a missionary manual, and recruited several new missionary families.  Dan now edits “The Shofar” and directs the office under the authority of Dr. Jack Reiss.  Dan is a gifted teacher/preacher, has been a Pastor and taught Hermeneutics, Homiletics and Bible for five years full time and five years adjunct at Tennessee Temple University and Seminary.  Dan is available for mission and Bible conferences.  He has a Masters Degree from Liberty University and a DRE from Heritage Seminary.  The Mouw family is certainly worthy of your prayers and financial support.

“Welcome Home, Darling”

God has blessed our family with four healthy, wonderful boys.  Each one brings us great moments of satisfaction.  Jeremy’s tenderness to others and call to missions, Isaiah’s success as Mr. Temple and Salutatorian, Zack’s athletic skills and great sense of humor, and Daniel’s call to preach, faithfulness and dedication; but mommy wanted a daughter to join in the fun.  I was closed minded to the idea for eight years until God touched my heart.  Little did I realize that when I said, “If a girl needs us, I’ll adopt; but only if I’m confident the Lord opens the door,” that a door would open so soon.

The door did open!  After our routine prayer during supper for our little girl, the phone rang with news of a girl in need.  We received the call from a Christian lady in mainland Japan whom we had never met, telling us of this little girl who was placed in an orphanage.  Her mother wanted her in the home of the “pastor with four boys.”

We did the required “home study” and sought help from the Christian lady in Japan.  After several minor setbacks, we came in contact with Betty Loudermilk.  Betty was sent from God.  She was the overseer of the Ebenezer home in mainland Japan.  Betty had placed over 300 babies into Christian families who would have otherwise been aborted.  She met Mary at the airport with our little bundle of joy.  Mary flew back to Okinawa where the boys and I waited in anticipation to meet our new arrival.  My first words to my daughter were, “Welcome home, darling.”  The choice of names was finally settled by the family with the help of several church ladies who came to the airport.  Elisabeth Megumi Mouw is her name.  Megumi translates from Japanese to English as Grace.  She is named for my grandmother, Grace Schutter, and God’s answering grace in giving us this precious gift.  A door had opened, BUT with many adversaries!

After falling in love with our sweetheart, a call came from the local authorities stating they wanted to meet our new baby.  One week later we welcomed a group of well dressed Japanese people into our home.  One was the judge who presided over all adoptions in Okinawa.  One was the Director of Orphanages, and the other four were police officers. We were shocked when they informed us, “Japanese babies belong in Japanese homes.”  They said that the baby would never belong to us and that they would take her with them that day to be put in an orphanage.  To them, their system proved that they were the superior race.  Pure Japanese babies are not allowed to be reared by inferior peoples, only adopted by Japanese parents.  Non-Japanese babies stay in orphanages until the age of eighteen before leaving to be on their own.  Most end up in trouble and eventually prison, proving their inferiority.

The group stayed in our home for six hours demanding we give up the baby.  We prayed.  We wept.  We begged and pleaded, but their minds were made up.  We called co-laborers in Christ to pray.  We called a lawyer, but to no avail.  We called a lady in Japan who had adopted several children and she told us, “Don’t let them take her or you will never see her again.”  As the meeting came to a climax, Mary stood behind the dining table trembling with our daughter in her arms.  I faced the men and told them to take me, but not the child.  My Japanese secretary slipped unnoticed into a back room to call my assistant pastor to inform him that I was going to jail.  By then the media had assembled in my driveway to video the drama as it unfolded.  Little did we know that the media’s presence was also of God.  The Japanese never like to be embarrassed.  The angry judge stated that she would see to it that we never got to keep this baby.  The policeman gave us one week to hand her over.  As they drove away, we were in shock, overwhelmed emotionally after the day’s ordeal.

What God starts, He finishes!  Once again we called Betty who advised Mary to come stay with her.  Betty said, “What God starts, He finishes.”  She had a good relationship with the authorities in her prefecture.  We quickly went to the local airport and flew Mary and Elisabeth to the mainland to stay with Betty at the Ebenezer home.  Betty, along with missionaries Brothers Patterson, Perry Gibson and Roland Simeonsson, all helped us get what was similar to a temporary order to keep Elisabeth in the Ebenezer home under Betty’s care.  We will forever be grateful for their help.

The Okinawa prefecture had grown tired of the large U.S. military presence on the island and had just recently been angered by the rape and beating of a 12 year old Okinawa girl by several marines.  So it was important for us to stay with Betty for awhile.  Mary stayed and I flew back and forth dividing my time between Okinawa and Mary and Elisabeth in Nagoya.

After several months, Mary and Elisabeth were allowed to stay in Okinawa by authority of the Japanese government with the understanding that any attempt to adopt Elisabeth would be through the Okinawan authorities.  We could keep our daughter, but never leave the island without a miracle in the heart of an important judge.

In the meantime, I flew home to say good-by to my father who was dying of Lou Gehrig’s disease.  I later flew home to bury him and to bury my grandmother, Grace Schutter.  Mary and the children had to stay behind.

If we could find Elisabeth’s birth certificate, we could prove she was at least half Filipino, but Elisabeth’s birth mom had long since disappeared.  Another miracle took place when another God-sent person actually found a hospital that had record of a half Filipino baby being born on January 9, 1997.  In a country whose population is two thirds the size of the United States, what would the chance be that this was our daughter’s birth record?  Well, It was!  This made Elisabeth a partial foreigner and us potential adoptive parents.

Finally, after two years our day in court had arrived.  The whole family headed to face the judge who had promised to take our child.  We all filed into the court room to face this judge.  To our shock, the judge had been miraculously removed from the bench and replaced with a judge who not only spoke English , but had been to Law school in America!  Elisabeth blew him kiss after kiss in the courtroom and we all remember his smile and final word, “Congratulations!”  We cried and celebrated before he could finish saying that he could tell we would be good parents for our daughter.

Thanks God!  You did it again!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.